Thursday, August 7, 2008

Post-Work Bouldering

I headed out for a little after work climbing this past Tuesday with Josh and Melissa. We met up at Santee, the local bouldering spot, and got on some great climbs. It's just so nice to get on the rock for a few hours after a long day at work. Makes my soul feel refreshed.

One of the problems we did was this fun slabby arete. It was Melissa's project for the day and after a few frustrating tries she hopped back on it and nailed it. It was great to watch her send it. Here she is in the middle of the business.



Josh topping out on it.



My turn.



We saw this crazy huge bug (like 3 inches long!) dragging this desert tarantula around. It was awesome!



My long standing nemesis at Santee is a problem called the 20 Point Boulder Problem. I was stoked to give it a go, but when we got over there, there was 6 or 7 people working on it. So we headed for this problem Josh had been telling me about called the No Hands Traverse. It's this great little ledge with a blank slab above it. As the name implies, it's a feet only climb with nothing to grab onto with your hands. It was super delicate and technical. I tried it probably a dozen tries and then, on the last try of the night, just before it got too dark to climb anymore, I sent it! Super happy to have nabbed this gem! Definitely a new favorite at Santee. Leave the muscles at home for this one. It's all about good footwork.

No comments: