Thursday, March 27, 2008

Cat Skiing...Again!!

Today I got the chance to go cat skiing for the second time! And, thanks to my hook up through France, it was free! Again! First off let me say that I love free stuff. Secondly, I love skiing powder. Free + Powder = A great day. It snowed 4 inches last night, bringing the weekly snow total up to 13 or 14 inches or so. With a recipe like that it's bound to be a good day. The pow was light, dry, and fast which made for great skiing. However, it wasn't bonding spectacularly with recent sun crusts and I ended up triggering a small avalanche on our 3rd run of the day while skiing some trees. The avi broke about 12-15 feet wide, ran about 65 feet and was about 14 inches deep. Fortunately it broke right at my feet. The guides released multiple avalanches through ski cutting today, all of which were running fast. They did a good job of managing the hazard while still finding great, safe lines for us to ski. Another great day!

Looking down the first run of the day.



Looking down the third run of the day.



Our tail guide ripping down one of the runs.



Some of the sucky views.

No comments: