Sunday, March 15, 2009

Search and Rescue Training

Yesterday was spent doing some training with the Weber County Search and Rescue, which I'm part of. They wanted us to get to know an area where people sometimes get lost just outside of the PowMow boundary. What this translated to was skiing several powderlicious lines and then getting towed back up via snowmobile instead of skinning up. This was an odd experience for me as I'm quite a staunch believer in human powered transportation in the backcountry. However, I also understand the necessity of it in regards to Search and Rescue. So, the skiers got to know the terrain a bit better and ski some fun lines and the snowmobilers got to figure out the best ways to transport people in and out of the area in the event of a rescue. Not that it was the point of the day, but I found it funny that, due to some mechanical complications, I could have actually gotten more skiing in by skinning up myself than I did with the snowmobiles. Anyway, my diatribe ends. A few photos.

Shug, our guide for the day, and her friend Jimmy.



Fellow patroller and SAR member Morgan dropping into a fun little steep pitch we skied.



And a little lower down.



A look back at Morgan and my tracks.



By now you should have figured out that the skiing did not suck.



Ditto.



The money shot. Morgan a nanosecond away from a faceshot.

No comments: