Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Clouds and Wind

Headed out for a little afternoon tour again today. A storm was supposed to roll through so I thought I'd sneak up and do some more poking around in the snow before it fell. I wasn't moving so fast today. I felt a little tired after touring Sunday, running 6 miles of hills on Monday and then going climbing afterwards. We'll see how the legs feel tomorrow!

I was back at Snowbasin again since that's really the only place for me to go touring around Ogden right now. Here's looking over at De Moisy Peak after skinning up 2200 feet. It was very windy today. I almost got knocked over a few times.



I look like a turtle here.



A couple chutes off of De Moisy that I'd like to ski this winter.



About three weeks ago, I skinned up here and stopped for lunch. Unfortunately I left my water bottle. Fortunately for me it was still laying around. Probably didn't hurt that it was frozen in place.



I dug a snow pit up high in Middle Bowl and found a scary snowpack. Only about 45 cms deep. 4cm thick crust, then 1cm of facets, then another crust (3cms thick), and then 35 cms of facets and depth hoar. Exactly what I DON'T like to see when I dig a pit. Once we get enough snow, that sucker is probably going to avalanche to ground.

No comments: